USMLE STEP 1 EXPERIENCE (256) Dr. Adil Khan Kakar

In the name of Allah The Magnificent and The Merciful.
USMLE STEP 1 EXPERIENCE (256) Dr. Adil Khan Kakar
Session : N59
Dear fellows here is my step 1 story.Hope that it helps someone pursuing same journey or planning to
start it because its never late.
Study Material
 Kaplan books with 2014 lectures for Physio Biochem Pharma Anatomy Immuno BS and Biostats
 Pathoma with lectures for Patho
 For Microbiology only FA ( sketchy lectures for Bacteriology(don’t recommend it) and Kaplan
lectures for Mycology Parasitology and virology)
 First Aid for step 1 ( main source)
 Usmle Rx Qbank
 Uworld Qbank (Most Important)
 BRS Behavioral science only Questions of some selected chapters and the questions at the end
of the book.
 Uworld Biostats Review Questions
 Genetics Questions Kaplan Q bank
Self Assessment tests
 NBME 3 offline : 26 wrong (after books with lectures and RX Q bank) before starting uworld
 NBME 13 online : 242 ( After 50% uworld random timed mode and a complete read of FA)
 NBME 15 online : 228 ( After complete Uworld and wrong questions once … had a break of
about 3 months that might be the reason for my low score)
 UWSA 1 online : 256 (4 weeks before exam)
 NBME 7 offline : 18 wrong
 NBME 11 offline : 23 wrong
 NBME 16 online : 244 (3 weeks before exam)
 NBME 12 offline : 26 wrong
 NBME 19 offline : 8 wrong
 NBME 18 online : 244 (5 days before exam)
 UWSA 2 online : 254 (3 days before exam)
 FRED 120 : 89% ( 1 day before exam)
 Real Deal : 256
Preparation Phase
Phase 1
I started my preparation with Kaplan books and lectures after my House Job. In this phase I would listen
to a lecture of Kaplan 2014 and read the same topic from Kaplan book. Here I made a mistake that I
didn’t read FA with it right from the beginning. I started with Physiology because it was my favourite
then went on with biochem pharma … I would also do the mcqs given in Kaplan book after each chapter
ends. For Patho did Pathoma with lectures,this was the best book I ever studied for pathology and
Hussain Sattar made it even more interesting. After that I did anatomy and BS and Biostats books same
way with lectures and in the end I did Immuno with lectures. Now it was time for FA!! the main source For Step1. As mentioned earlier I must have started it right from day 1 but I didn’t so it was a bit difficult
for me to understand each and everything in the first read.For Micro I didn’t read Kaplan as a friend
suggested that FA is enough,so I read it only from FA and listen to Sketchy videos for Bacterio and
Kaplan 2014 for the rest. I do not recommend Sketchy because after few videos one become so
overwhelmed by all the cartoons and stuff they are explaining for each bug that they got mixed up If I
am given a chance to do it again I would listen to Kaplan 2014 Dr.moscattalo lectures and would read FA
with it.
Phase 2
In the second phase I started studying FA. For understanding FA better and memorizing it a friend
suggested to do Usmle Rx Qbank along with FA system wise instead of reading Kaplan books a
second time.I think it was right decision because solving mcqs really tests your knowledge and
challenges you each time and you learn better from your mistakes. It is active learning which is far
better than passively reading from books. I am not discussing here whether or not I should have
done usmle rx or started off with Uworld directly because honestly speaking I don’t know. I m
writing my story the way I went through all the phases and I am not passing any judgements here
because every one is different. Something that you feel is best might not be good for others. I used
to read a lot of experiences posted in the group but I did what I felt comfortable with. Coming back
to topic so I did whole FA and Usmle RX Qbank system wise timed mode. I took form 3 offline (26
Wrong).
Phase 3 ( Most important one)
UWORLD!!! Started uworld online random timed mode. I would read explanation from uworld and
the same topic from FA and would annotate the extra Stuff on my FA. This was very tiring and
exhausting. After 50 % of Uworld I gave a cover to cover read to FA. It was time for an assessment so
I took form 13 online (242).
This was my performance profile of NBME 13. I was happy and satisfied with the results… As I
was still left with half of uworld so I decided to finish it first before I start working on my weak
areas. I was done with first round of Uworld timed random mode ( 74%). At this time I should
have taken another NBME but due to lack of confidence I couldn’t do it so I decided to do wrong
and then take another NBME. But due to some personal and family issues and laziness(my
personal Fault) I was unable to read for almost three to four months and I could hardly do
around 600 uworld questions which I got wrong in the first pass in all this time. And I had
already booked for my Exam triad of Feb-April 2018. And the months which I wasted were those
of the triad. I took NBME 15 at the end of April 2018 ( 228 )
I was so much depressed and disappointed.I extended my triad. I started with second read of
uworld in May and started studying FA along with explanations of uworld. After about 30 blocks of
uworld and studying FA with it along side I took UWSA 1 ( 256 ). This gave me confidence and I
continued with Uworld and I also took offline NBME 7 and 11. After I was done with 40 blocks of
Uworld with explanation. I did uworld Biostats review questions with explanations the second time
then I took NBME 16 (244)
EXAM DAY
Make sure you keep your Passport and exam permit with you. I reached prometric around 8am. Make
sure to wear clothes which you are most comfortable with and with as much less pockets as
possible.This will save your time in the checking process. I was anxious as well and I knew that it is
normal.Before starting the exam there was option for checking the headphones.After entering the
required key your tutorial will start you can skip the tutorial by clicking the end tutorial option. I skipped
the tutorial that added another 15 minutes in my breaktime.There are a total of 7 blocks with 40
questions in each block and a total of 280 questions. As I started my first block I had problem with the
font size. The font size seemed too small to me so I clicked on the medium font size. Now the questions
stems looked too much lengthy like 8 to 10 lines and in some I had to scroll down the screen even for
the scenario part. So I changed the font 3 to 4 times during my first block and I was getting a bit anxious
as well. Then I thought to stick with the medium sized font because the content of the question would
remain same and I could read in this font better than small one. I could hardly finish 1st block in time. 1
hour break time is enough for six breaks even if you take break after each block, like I did.
The exam was much like NBME 18 and UWSA 2 but the question stems were a bit longer. I had 3 ECGs, 2
murmurs and a lot of graphs. Few brain MRI and gross specimens and chest CT scans. There were a lot
of questions which I didn’t had a clue. Some genes questions I had never heard of. So be prepared for
these sort of questions and don’t waste your time over them just click your best option and move
ahead. I was very much exhausted by the end of fifth block and I was very worried how I will be able to
do next 2 blocks. I washed my face with cold water tried to remain positive and keep my nerves intact
till the very last moment and that helped me. In the last block I was excited and happy that a long and
exhausting journey of step 1 is coming to an end.
As I came out of prometric I was uncertain about how I performed in exam. But I knew one thing that I
Take home message:
Don’t waste too much time on books and lectures. Try to understand the concepts in the first read
don’t try to cram things from books.Start studying FA from the very first day and try to understand and
learn each and every word of it.Do not write too much on your FA from lectures or books because you
have to read it time and again. Don’t do uworld offline. Do it Online in Random Timed Mode. Do all the
Assessment forms the ONLINE ones as well as OFFLINE.Try to attempt as much new questions as
possible near the exam. I took 8 forms in the last month(1600 new questions) and that helped me a lot
in my real exam because one get used to the new question stems and you will get 280 new stems in the
exam,so better equip yourself beforehand.People usually solve Uworld questions at the end for practice
like solving 6 or 8 blocks per day and finishing whole uworld in like 8 to 10 days. It might work for some
people but by doing it you are solving the same question stems which you have already solved a couple
of times so our minds doesn’t get into the thinking process and we are solving them from our memory
which wont help us on our exam day as much as solving new questions.
Don’t waste time and avoid breaks during study as much as possible . Once you make a plan stick to it.
Set small achievable goals and try your best to achieve them. Some time you will feel depressed and low
remember this is part of the game just keep moving and believe in yourself. No one will believe in you
until and unless you believe in yourself and No one can motivate you until you motivate yourself. You
will come across difficult situations,sleepless nights, even sometimes you will feel like quitting and feel
you cant do it. Believe me I have been through all these feelings but in the end Allah Almighty will give
you the reward of your hard work and sacrifice. Have faith and Believe in yourself . YOU CAN DO THIS.
May Almighty protect us all and help us achieve our goals.
Feel free to ask anything. I will be happy if I could be of any help to someone. Remember me in your
pray