PG in Nepal - NOT a very Bright Option

as for my introduction, i did my MBBS from a college in kathmandu and i must tell you that PG in Nepal is definitely not worth.

first thing first, it is NOT recognised my MCI [which IS a BIG issue if you want to pursue further studies such as S.R.ship or anything like that anywhere in India.] i have known people who did their PG in Nepal and are now at a terrible loss since their applications are straight away rejected as soon as the tag of Nepal is seen.

secondly, there is this TREMENDOUS anti indian feeling out here. believe me, its worse than pakistan at some places. people support pakistan just because it is against india. some ppl from south nepal ppl are freindly but what about the majority standing against you. even the teachers at places are partial because of our nationality… they FAIL students because of this issue. now u certainly dont expect THAT from your guru…

the language of communication is Nepali which ofcourse is tough to learn, as is any language other than your mother tongue. bt thats not where the story ends…
as many of you must be knowing by seeing the NEWS these days, the Maoists have won the elections by a whooping majority. n for the many of you who didnt know, second top priority agenda of the maoists was to REMOVE all indians from their country [topmost being removal of the king]. so u can very well guess, what the situation will be in the coming 1 or 2 years… many flourishing indian businessmen have already vacated their well settled business here because of the threats…

come of now, even if u do manage to cope up with all these problems n do manage to take admission there, u JUST CANT SURVIVE in the present scenario… i will tell you why…
there is usually NO Cooking Gas available. this means you either eat in the poorly maintained mess with sky high prices, or you go to the restaurants where again they charge rocketing prices for whatever you eat. even they cant help it, there is always shortage of food items.

there is usually NO Petrol/diesel available, this means you cant go from one place to the other by any conveyance. [the public transport itself is very costly n always overcrowded due to the scarcity of public transport vehicles on road]. motoring around in a Taxi will surely lead to a BIG BURNING HOLE in your pocket. [can you imagine they charge 50 Rs. Indian Currency for ONE kilometre, compare Delhi - Rs.3.50 /km in an auto]… so most of the time you will be up and about on your foot. [i myself have travelled distances ranging upto 18 kms on foot due to lack of petrol in the country]… even the electricity issue is not behind… there is a regular power cut of ~8-10 hrs./day… so be prepared to sit in the dark and stare at the wall coz u wont have any diesel to run your generator…

then there are always these Bandhs organised by some or the other group. which will leave u stranded with lots of protests going around on the roads… if they see any vehicle on the road, they straight away set it ablaze… hearing a bomb or two go off in the city every now and then has become a common scene around here. i tell you people, the country is on the verge of a civil war which will definitly break in an year or two… with these Maoists in charge now, god only knows which direction they will take the country to…

n i must tell you, dharan too , is not a very bright option either. it is a HUB of Maoist activities n the local maoist leader is said to be more powerful than the topmost army chief posted there [it is well known that even these army officials pay extortion money to these maoists for their own protection] rest u can very well guess, how the situation is n how it will unfold in the years to come…

even after all these things if u still decide to go there for PG, well i must compliment u for ur guts [or rather, shall i say stupidity]…

my sheer purpose to write this down was to provide all u PG aspirants an insight as to what things actually are here these days… u may not feel it when u visit for a day or two, but u will definitely face the heat when u have to spend three long years here… my present aim is to finish off the course and get out of here as soon as possible… cant even think of PG here… its better to settle down there even for a DNB… u guys can check ur preferances…

comments & suggestions are most welcome

EVERY THING
i did my MBBS from Nepal , my colledge was nearing Indian border
Even then its SO ANTIINDIAN ATMOSPHERE HERE U CANNT imagine
THEY R MORE ANTIINDIAN (DHOTI , wht they call indian ) than pakistani
After coming out of that hell, i feel like grt coming back to india

I dont agree completely wid u guys here!
well the situation in nepal was not so good…agreed…but u’ve exaggerated it a bit! I’ve done my ug from dharan, so i dunno abt kathmandu but i can vouch, NONE of such things exist in dharan atleast.
of course during the bandh days, the petrol shortages and price rises were a reality, but we never saw all that kind of violence u’re talkin abt in the last 5n half yrs, which were as u’d also agree the most politically unstable.

About the anti indian feeling again…yes it exists but never exhibited openly in our college coz more than half our faculty and half the student strength in every class is Indians.And honestly, sometimes relations are even very cordial.
Learning nepali would be as easy or as difficult as any other Indian language, and infact simpler for you if u happen to know bengali or maithili, coz many words are similar. icon_smile.gif Its more about the right attitude.

Agreed the pg is not MCI recognised, and not a good option at all…But I’d also like to state the facts here…Indians who’ve done their pg from nepal are not doing so bad in India either.I personally know seniors from my college who are doing very well in their private practices or working in renowned private hospitals in Delhi and even NIMHANS. And for now only Dept of Orthopedics at BPKIHS is MCI recognised, so Indians coming back from there should have no problems in India.We were also hoping for positive steps for other departments but with the new Maoist government thats come in, it doesnt seem really possible now.

OK, thats not to give an impression that its worth doing a pg from there anyways,it always remains one of the last desperate options. And personally, I’d also state that my UG stay in Nepal just wasnt bad, infact it was fun.It gave me great friends and wonderful memories for a lifetime!

But with the new maoist government coming in, and the anti india attitude they hold, nepal might not be the same as it was for us a few years back.

i doont agree its not a place to go for an indian
neither was earlier

well then its very very strange dude…if u abhored nepal so much then why did u stay and study there at all???
no hard feelings…i respect ur opinion…maybe u’v had a very bad experience…but atleast be slightly grateful to the college and the place where u earned ur mbbs degree!!

lets not generalise the opinion about all institutions of nepal please!!

hey neemhakeem!
in one of ur posts u said that MS Ortho BPKIHS is the course recognized by MCI.just help me out with details plz…what is the procedure n how authentic is the news.

man i have regards for my teachers much more u can think off
ok
But i still find that place not worth
And once u go to place , submit fee u cannt never come back till it finishes
I doont agreeeee
The new Govn (maoist) are too antiindian
Tell me are u a nepali

ya ms orhto in bpkihs is mci recognised.u can apply for the exam,but the branch will obviously depend on ur rank.
check out {www.bpkihs.edu} for details.the form is available there.

no hard feeling buddy
its OK
Actually i have many many bad experiences there which i cannt forget in life