Lets now focus on clinical case - long case of spinal cord injury

Lets now focus on clinical case - long case of spinal cord injury

Viva - voce

Q 1 what is cremastric reflex and how to elicit - show on a patient ??

A 1 The cremasteric reflex is a superficial (i.e., close to the skin’s surface) reflex observed in human males.

1 This reflex is elicited by lightly stroking or poking the superior and medial (inner) part of the thigh - regardless of the direction of stroke.

2 The normal response is an immediate contraction of the cremaster muscle that pulls up the testis ipsilaterally (on the same side of the body) VV IMP - SAME SIDE ELEVATION

3 The reflex utilizes sensory and motor fibers from two different nerves.

4 When the inner thigh is stroked, sensory fibers of the ilioinguinal nerve are stimulated.

5 These activate the motor fibers of the genital branch of the genitofemoral nerve which causes the cremaster muscle to contract and elevate the testis.

In CTEV -

A ) The most common used outcome measure is the scoring system of Pirani.

B ) This scoring system assesses the severity of clubfoot deformity and response to treatment

C ) It has a predictive value concerning the number of casts needed to correct the foot.

D ) A high score, 4 or more, predicts the use of at least 4 casts.

E ) A score less than 4 predicts the need of 3 or fewer casts.

F ) Each component is scored as 0 (normal), 0.5 (mildly abnormal) or 1 (severely abnormal)

In the midswing phase the hip flexes to 30° (by contraction of the adductors) and the ankle becomes dorsiflexed due to a contraction of the tibialis anterior muscle.

The knee flexes 60° but then extends approximately 30° due to contraction of the sartorius muscle.

This extension is caused by the quadriceps muscles

Baby born at 33 weeks / 1.5 kg should be started on?
A. Nil oral and IV fluids
B. Oral nasogastric tube/alternate oral route
C. IV fluids and oral feeding
D. TPN

Kinesia paradoxa is a phenomenon most often seen in people with Parkinson’s disease where individuals who typically experience severe difficulties with the simple movements may perform complex movements easily.

Triphasic wave discharges on EEG are seen in ? A ) HSE B ) HEPATIC COMA C ) TUMOR D ) STROKE

A. Increased creatinine kinase MB
B. Increased creatinine kinase MM
C. Increased blood urea nitrogen level
D. Decreased WBC level

Most common nerve used for monitoring during anesthesia :

A. Ulnar nerve
B. Facial nerve
C. Radial nerve
D. Median nerve

In haemolytic jaundice, bilirubin is absent from the urine because plasma bilirubin is:
a) Not usually elevated
b) Deposited in skin and sclera
c) Unconjugated and not water soluble
d) All protein bound and thus not filterable
e) Converted by the liver to urobilinogen

hello guys here are few suggestions for AMCmcq exam candidates.
JM and Handbook are must and must.you need to do whole jm.whole Jm is recall topics because if you do recalls from last 6 months you ll find that they are covering whole jm every chapter and handbook for how to approach a scenerio in exam.handbook should be on your finger tips.side by side do recalls last least last 6months.also try to do one year before files as well and i ll suggest go through amc qbank and annotated as well although i didn’t even touch them.
what i did to pass this exam is 2 times thoroughly JM from chapter to chapter whole and third time i did important topics in last 3 days of exam.handbook i did thrice.3rd time in last 10 days of exam.and 5 months of recalls ,2015 recalls half files and separate files for gynae obs ,peads and psychiatry.also for recalls i searched answers from racgp,medscape websites.
in the end your previous knowledge matters alot.im already doing fellowship in internal medicine in pakistan so my more emphasis was on gynae obs,peads,psychiatry and ethics.but still i did whole jm twice.
last 2 months you need to give maximum of your time to this exam…maximum.i forgot to mention try to get some serious and dedicated study partner it ll make things easier otherwise it’s tremendous effort.and all the best everyone

A 35 year old woman came for screaning for diabetes as her friend has been dx DM few days earlier wts the best to be done ?
a. Fasting blood glucose every 3 years
b. Random blood glucose every 3 years
c. OGTT every year
d. Fasting blood glucose every year
e. HB A1C now

There are lots of ways to prepare for AMC, different people prefer different books and materials, so at the end it all depends upon you, how you want to do it. I like to turn all the stones to see what lies beneath, so my approach towards the AMC MCQ is bit extensive and time consuming.

The first thing one should do is to go through the AMC Annotated Multiple Choice Questions. the first hand knowledge about the pattern of question they ask in the exam. The new edition is available on the AMC website.

Next thing is to understand the practice pattern and Australian variation of medicine and medical conditions, and for that General Practice, 4th edition by John Murtagh is the best. I would say this is a must. You can make this book a basis for AMC preparation with other reference books.

Now after understanding the Australian perspective of medicine, one has to decide what other books he is going to follow. There are two basic approaches, few people like Oxford hand books and and rest Kaplan for USMLE. I prefer Kaplan, because they are concise, up to date and written in scientific manner (Read the Initial Preface and About the book in the beginning of each book).

When you are going through all these books, try to do some Recalls as well. They are not exact recollection of the questions asked in AMC, but still they will help you to keep you in the track. To have more standard MCQs you can do Pretest Series for USMLE as well. They are standard questions with very good explanation, but also keep in mind that AMC MCQs are far more difficult than these.

Now, if someone want to read some comprehensive notes on clinical subjects, Deja Reviews, are very helpful. Very few people know about this book. These are supplementary books for Kaplan, well written, to the point and in a question and answer manner. I personally recommend read Deja Surgery and Deja Obs and Gynaec.

Along with them I always looked my very best MBBS books, Harrison (Medicine), Bailey & Love (Surgery), Dutta (Obs & Gynec) and Maheshwari (Orthopedics).

Now there are some other books which i referred time and again, they are: (Ordered according to importance) (Sharif Qadri )