WCDHD confirms case of measles with exposures in Lincoln County WCDHD confirms case of measles with exposure in Lincoln Co

NORTH PLATTE, Neb. A case of measles has been confirmed by the West Central District Health Department.

Cropped Photo: CDC

The department says a joint investigation with the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services has identified several public exposures in Lincoln County.

People known to have been exposed are being notified.

Exposures include: Madison Middle School April 1, 2017 to April 10, 2017 New Life Church Youth Group April 5, 2017 (6:00pm – 10:30 pm)
Great Plains Health Emergency Room April 10, 2017 (6:00pm – 2:30 am on April 11) Precise Medical Care April 11, 2017 (8:00am – 2:00pm)
Great Plains Health Pavilion in Pathology Services April 11, 2017 (11:00 am – 3:00pm).

What are the signs and symptoms of Measles? The signs and symptoms of measles generally begin about 7‐14 days after exposure. A typical case of measles begins with mild to moderate fever, cough, runny nose, red watery eyes and a sore throat. Two or three days after the symptoms begin, tiny white spots, called Koplick’s spots, may appear inside the mouth. Three to five days after the start of symptoms a red or reddish‐brown rash appears. The rash usually begins on the face at the hairline and spreads downward to the neck, trunk, arms, legs and feet.
What should I do if I attended one of these locations? Watch closely for the onset of signs and symptoms of measles. Those who were infected at the locations listed above could develop symptoms up to 21 days after their exposure.

If you attended one the of locations on the dates and times listed above and develop symptoms of measles, call your healthcare provider right away to discuss your symptoms and potential exposure before showing up at a clinic. The provider will advise you to either come to the clinic or arrange a visit at a different location so that other people are not exposed.

If I have been vaccinated or had measles in the past am I protected? You are protected against measles if you have been adequately vaccinated against measles or if you have had measles in the past.

• People born prior to 1957 are considered to be immune because at that time most people were infected with measles as children.

• Most persons under 40 years of age who were compliant with school entry requirements have had two doses of MMR and have a very low risk of developing measles if exposed. Persons who were non‐compliant with that requirement are at high risk if exposed to a person shedding the measles virus.

• Preschool children 12 months of age or older should have had at least one dose of measles‐containing vaccine.

• Infants less than 12 months of age are too young to be vaccinated and should be monitored closely for symptoms if they attended one of the events listed above. Call your health care provider if your infant has been exposed and is too young to be vaccinated to discuss options.

Healthcare personnel and frequent international travelers should have 2 MMR doses. Adults born in or after 1957 who are not healthcare personnel or frequent international travelers and cannot confirm that they have been vaccinated or had measles in the past should consider getting a dose of vaccine at this time to minimize the risk of acquiring measles in the future.

What should I do if I have questions about my vaccination status? You can call your healthcare provider or the West Central District Health Department at (308) 221-6831 or (308) 696-1201 to discuss your immunization history and whether you need to get a vaccination at this time.

Where can I get vaccinated against measles? You can call your healthcare provider or West Central District Health Department at (308) 221-6831 or (308) 696-1201.

This is a developing story and we will keep you updated as soon as more information becomes available.

SOURCE & REFERENCE

http://www.knopnews2.com/content/news/WCDHD-confirms-case-of-measles-with-exposures-in-Lincoln-County–419556023.html
WCDHD confirms case of measles with exposures in Lincoln County