PG courses in Kathmandu, Nepal

Hi all,
I would like to share few important facts regarding the admission in Kathmandu ,
Best institute for pg course - IOM its gov institute affiliate by tribhuvan university that’s the only Nepal government university. With this u got several opportunity in overseas countries n hospital full of all latest equipments , opportunities n above this highly qualified n experienced teaching faculty its few branches r MCI recognized so no problem for registration n above this u equipped with latest knowledge n procedure which i m sure not present in several Indian institutes so why to waste time in trying the things which r good for nothing type becz in our field basically we need a lot of knowledge n exposure both of them r in plenty thr ,n radio ophthal surgery r really very good in terms of pt exposure n quality of teaching in radio around 300 USG n about 3-4 MRI daily , in ophthal about 300-400 cataract operation during thr 3 year study n resent training in retina, neuro -ophth etc, so now I think many of ur doubts cleared up .
Now the admission procedure they announced the test on thr website so its easy to know about the last date of submission of form n date of written exam every thing the web site of TU ----Web: www.iom.edu.np
Institute of Medicine
Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
Phone No: 4410911 (Dean)
Exam .Section: 4413729
Campus Chief: 4414792, HLMC: 4412202
Healthnet: 4429722, Med. Edu. Unit: 4430376

If any one of u want to know any thing more plz feel free to ask me regarding iom as I have joined thr so I will try my best to help u people…

i would like to know more.abt adm. process

thanks for the info snehay… congrats for ur joining there… but is there vacancy in this session… as of given in the site the admissions are over… hows bp koirala… any idea…

hey snehay xam was on 15th may…are dey still open 4 admissns

Thank u , the admission process is just like other exam they conduct thr own written exam comprises of all subject only 100 qes 2 hours so u have plenty of time . through this they judge ur grip on other subjects but u have to get minimum 50%marks , . then u have to face an oral exam in ur opted subject so its very imp that u should opt the subject in which u r confident to face any type of qes becz they believe in quality study n ur knowledge in particular subject will contribute a lot in getting seat thr this year exam over but still few seats left but I m not sure about the further process for left seats, for this u must contact the university .

thanks snehay… do u have any idea which seats are left vacant… and whats the international dialling code for kathmandu…

hi snehay
congratulations!
can u plz tell me how is ortho an d other surgical branches over there
how is the faculty pertaining 2 these branches and how good is the exposure
and which of these is mci recognised
what is the fee structure like
what is the stipend and how well do they treat indians

ortho is good but 4 year course so its diffcult to get MCI recognition, surgery is one of the very good dept. here. even psy, n ENT is also very good n soon it will be in MCI list.

Read your posts. How can MCI award recognition to PG Degrees in Nepal when none of PG Degrees obtained abroad are recognised by MCI till date ?

Can you clarify on this, else explain your stand clearly.

I think you are not having clear concept about india nepal relations .MCI has not only recognised various UG and pg programs in nepal but India is also running med college in nepal in govt colaboration

I wish you are right on the matter of PG Recognition in Nepal by MCI.

It has been posted on this forum many times over and MCI office guys say any PG degree outside the country is not recognised even if its FRCS/FRCP/American Fellowship too like many other PG degrees in numerous countries.

You are right for MBBS abroad since now they have got in the provision of MCI Screening test for them to obtain MCI Recognition and practice in India legally.

Correct me if I am wrong on this and kindly give us more information if you think otherwise.

its true that mci recognised many of the nepal pg degrees under the mci amendment of “reciprocal recognition of the foreign degrees”. it is likely that with political changes in nepal and possibility of still better indo-nepal relations in future, there can be still more increasing recognition of this type in future.
u can watch out for the details of the new pg programme started by the manipal group with the kathmandu university in my post.

Kindly state where you have seen the info about reciprocal recognition of foreign medical degrees by MCI.

Is only Nepal included or any other countries too? And is it for PG as well?

the resciprocal recognition if for ug courses only. and that too only from particular institutes in nepal. for eg iom.

u can get more information about the reciprocal recognition from the mci act of 1956 (see the mci website ). such instututions like some us medical boards and some degrees given by the royal college of uk are included in the schedule 2 of this act. even dnb prospectus ( at eligibitlity for part 2 exam ) states that training from those institutions outside india but included in the schedule 2 of mci act will be approved by the dnb board. so it works at the pg level also. there is definitely a chance for other foreign degrees to get recgnd in future. but i have not gone so far to know what all insitutions r recognised in this manner. the mci people or the particular institution in which u r trying to join must help u in this matter.

this is the very question i have. where can i get the concrete news of its mci recognition other than the institution itself.

there is certianly a provision in the mci act to recognise pg courses outside india , given in the mci website, though the list of the various courses and colleges recgnd in such manner is not given - it may be got from the mci office. i’m giving that piece of matter here:

THE INDIAN MEDICAL COUNCIL ACT, 1956
(102 of 1956)

30th December, 1956

(As amended by the
Indian Medical Council (Amendment) Acts, 1964, 1993 & 2001)

AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE RECONSTITUTION OF THE MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA AND THE MAINTENANCE OF A MEDICAL REGISTER FOR INDIA AND FOR MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH.
Be it enacted by Parliament in the seventh year of the Republic of India as follows:-

RECOGNITION OF MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS GRANTED BY MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS IN COUNTRIES WITH WHICH THERE IS A SCHEME OF RECIPROCITY

The medical qualifications granted by medical institutions outside India which are included in the Second Schedule shall be recognised medical qualifications for the purposes of this Act.

The Council may enter into negotiations with the Authority in any country outside India which by the law of such country is entrusted with the maintenance of a register of medical practitioners, for the settling of a scheme of reciprocity for the recognition of medical qualifications and in pursuance of any such scheme, the Central Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, amend the Second Schedule so as to include therein the medical qualification which the Council has decided should be recognised and any such notification may also direct that an entry shall be made in the last column of the Second Schedule against such medical qualification declaring that it shall be a recognised medical qualification only when granted after a specified date.

The Central Government, after consultation with the Council, may, by notification in the Official Gazette, amend the Second Schedule by directing that an entry be made therein in respect of any medical qualification declaring that it shall be recognised medical qualification only when granted before a specified date.

Where the Council has refused to recommend any medical qualification which has been proposed for recognition by any Authority referred to in sub-section (2) and that Authority applies to the Central Government in this behalf, the Central Government, after considering such application and after obtaining from the council a report, if any, as to the reasons for any such refusal, may by notification in the Official Gazette, amend the Second Schedule so as to include such qualification therein and the provisions of sub-section (2) shall apply to such notification.

SPECIAL PROVISION IN CERTAIN CASES FOR RECOGNITION OF MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS GRANTED BY MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS IN COUNTRIES WITH WHICH THERE IS NO SCHEME OF RECIPROCITY.

The Central Government after consultation with the Council, may, by notification in the Official Gazette, direct that medical qualifications granted by medical institutions in any country out-side India in respect of which a scheme of reciprocity for the recognition of medical qualifications is not in force, shall be recognised medical qualification for the purposes of this Act or shall be so only when granted after a specified date:
Provided that medical practice by persons possessing such qualifications: -
shall be permitted only if such persons are enrolled as medical practitioners in accordance with the law regulating the registration of medical practitioners for the time being in force in that country;
shall be limited to the institution to which they are attached for the time being for the purposes of teaching, research or charitable work ; and
shall be limited to the period specified in this behalf by the Central Government by general or special order.
In respect of any such medical qualification the Central Government, after consultation with the Council may, by notification in the Official Gazette direct that it shall be a recognised medical qualification only when granted before a specified date.

hi! i want to knowthat r till seats available,are the entrance exams held only once in a year,what is the fee structure,keeping in mind the political situations how much safe is the place for an indian…i know that my queries may be a bit irritating but i really want to know these facts…waiting for a reply…

hi,sneyhay,is ophtha really gud there&are mcqs like aipge??also sumthing seems 2 b wrngwith the website…cn u help me in getting the details abt the fee str&exam there??

I’m at BPKIHS, Dharan, Nepal. Out here a few departments have been recognised by MCI and others are in the process.
Indian candidates can take PG seats here but they donot get any stipend.

the fees comes to around 4500 usd per year and u have to pay it at the start of the year. and the stipend is around 10000 nc which comes to a lil more than 6000 inr…
hope this info helps…

cudos, che…

Hi all, sorry for delayed reply… i know you have so many qes n i m having only one ans , if u r still confuse then u must visit kathmandu n find urself whether it is nice place for study or not … i already spend around three months here n what i feel is ki no place is good or bad its all depend on u n ur thinking. if u think that this place is good then it become heaven n if u think that its not nice then it will become hell …… one think I would like to mention here the only problem which I face here is the language n for this u have to spend 1-2 months …once u r able to understand the language then everything will be fine … n residency anywhere in the world is not easy except few parts in India it’s a well know fact so I m not going to tell u about that becz all of u know the future of that training …I think I m very lucky ki I got admission in one of the topmost govt collage where I got lot of exposure , for which my seniors r trying to get fellowship like in retina n oculoplasty… oh ya now the stipend money I m getting Rs 10500 .00/month n my fee is USD 4500/year .n now political issue , I spend around 3 months par still I don’t know any thing becz I feel its very clam n quite place may be its my observation , so before taking any decision just visit once to kathmandu becz it depend on person to person,if u feel that this is the place for which u r waiting then only think about it .

for ur information this is from the mci web site:

THE INDIAN MEDICAL COUNCIL ACT, 1956
THE SECOND SCHEDULE
(See Section 12)

RECOGNISED MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS GRANTED BY MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS OUTSIDE INDIA.

UNITED KINGDOM
University of Birmingham
M.B.Ch.B.

Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
U.Birm.

M.D.
Doctor of Medicine

Ch.M.
Master of Surgery

University of Bristol
M.B.Ch.B.
U. Brist.

M.D.
Doctor of Medicine

Ch.M.
Master of Surgery

University of Cambridge

M.B.B. Chir.

U. Camb.

M.D.
Doctor of Medicine

M.Chir.
Master of Surgery

Royal College of Physicians of London
L.R.C.P.
Licentiate
R.C.P. Lond.

M.R.C.P.

F.R.C.P.
Fellow

Royal College of Surgeons of England
M.R.C.S.
R.C.S. Eng.

F.R.C.S.
Fellow

F.F.A.R.C.S.**
Fellow
(Faculty of Anaesthesia)

**Provided that this qualification has been awarded after qualifying at an examination.

Society of Apothecaries of London
L.M.S.S.A.

Licentiate in Medicine and Surgery
S.A.Lond.

LS.A.
Licentiate

Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
L.R.C.P.
Licentiate
R.C.P. Edin.

M.R.C.P.

F.R.C.P.
Fellow

Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
L.R.C.S.
Licentiate
R.C.S. Edin.

F.R.C.S.
Fellow

Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
F.R.C.P.
Fellow
R.C.P.S. Glasg.

F.R.C.S.
Fellow

F.R.C.P.S.
Fellow
Royal College of Physicians of United Kingdom
M.R.C.P.
R.C.P.,U.K.

Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, London
M.R.C.O.G.
R.C.O.G. (Lond.)

the list is exaustive and includes those in the second and the third schedule of the act.

hi, shajju , i think just check the previous threads i have already mentioned every thing thr … but if u still have some doubts then plz check the website i mentioned …
if u need any help from me then lz let me know about that…
best of luck…

I WISH RXPG WEBSITE ALL THE LUCK
I HAVE GREAT FAITH IN RXPG MODERATORS AND ALL THE TECHNICAL PEOPLE BEHIND THIS WONDERFUL WEBSITE WHICH IS THE LIFELINE OF MEDICOS.

AND ITS A GREAT DEFEAT FOR THE HACKERS AND ALL THOSE WHO TRIED TO BRING IT DOWN BUT COULD NOT DO SO FOR A LONG TIME…
ALL THE BEST GUYS !
U R THE BEST!

hello maam

how tough is the exam ???how do we apply…i mean from where do we get the forms and is there any sort of reservations there???is it same for nepali students and indian students???is entrance the only way 2 get in?? are there any donation process like…

what about for people who studied in nepal or in india is there any reservations for those???

i heard the exams there at iom is very tough especially for foreign students…also how many indian students are studying there…[/img][/quote]

hi blackbelt, dont worry its tough but not so tough …if u prepare well for aiipg then i m sure that u will get pg here…below i m giving u the site for IOM try that they will anounce about the exam on website …there is forign qouta if u r indian then u have to apply for that no matter wether u have completed frm nepal or india, but u have to pass entrance exam …MCQ based exam including all MBBS subjects plus viva in the subject of ur choice…n plz dont try short cuts to get P.G… thre is no donation system… n dont worry about no… thr r so many indians …
ok best of luck …if any problem write to me, i will try to help u…

how tough is the exam ???how do we apply…i mean from where do we get the forms and is there any sort of reservations there???is it same for nepali students and indian students???is entrance the only way 2 get in?? are there any donation process like…

what about for people who studied in nepal or in india is there any reservations for those???

i heard the exams there at iom is very tough especially for foreign students…also how many indian students are studying there…[/

When is the exam this year?Any idea of MCI recognition for any of their degrees?MCI officials have confirmed that its not recognised.In that case whats the whole deal of doing a PG which is not recognised??

Can someone guide me on this issue of MCI recognition for Nepal. I contacted th MCI and they told me that IOM is not recognised and neither is any other college in Nepal for PG. They plainly told that its not possible to register with the MCI after your PG from Nepal. So, whats the way out if your join Nepal??? Snehay, would you please reply?

hi there can u confirm regarding this thing about this pg frm nepal being mci recognised?
till date as far as i know no pg frm nepal is mci recognised how can u say so ?although fr tha ug level i understand few colleges r mci recognised but this thingy bout pg i doubt do u have anything to say?

It has been a known fact and written all over this website by many that PG and Super PG done in any country outside India is presently " not recognised" by MCI.

Did you know that it was not MCI that is responsible for recognising or not recognising UG/PG/Super PG abroad, and MCI is a regulatory body that was established under Central Govt of India to forsee and regulate Medical Education/colleges/teachers/ in “India.” ?

In fact it was the Central Govt of India which had taken a decision earlier to start a Screening test for doctors who obtained MBBS/MD/MBBCh ( all Undergraduate level) abroad. And the legislation by court and Central Govt had directed National Board to conduct the test and MCI to grant recognition status for these doctors who qualify the test.

We need to understand that it is the Central Govt ( concerned Ministry) and legislature machinery in India that are the first to take decisions in this regard of PG and Super PG too. And then further - for them to direct the MCI and National Board to do the required.

How can MCI say FRCS/FICS/MRCP or any PG degree abroad would be recognised or not, when bilateral and mutual recognition of medical degrees is not a law in India with any country abroad.

Everything will not be available in the net. I too did my own homework with Senior Doctors in practice, Lawyers and Doctors in State Medical Councils and MCI/National Board too.

For more on this issue, befriend the Registrar of your State Medical Council to procure info on present laws pertaining to Doctors and practising in India.

MCI has granted recognition to quite a number of PG courses done abroad, American boards, certain univ in Germany etc. You can get a complete list at the official website of MCI. Unfortunately none of the PG programs in Nepal are recognised as claimed by the author of this thread and several others. What you are talking is of norms and those are just in black and white unless a screening test for PG done abroad is instituted. So as of now its non existing. Laws take pretty long time to be implemented incase you didnt know, this is India my dear!
MCI is more of a mafia than a regulatory body. So the final say is that as of now all the PG programs done abroad barring a few are unrecognised!!

i too agree with zittsurk studying 4 almost 3 yrs and not getting a recognised degree !!! what will we do ?,we will be left of nowhere

cud u pls tell whether the new law will b for already doing or for future candidates also?r da laws been implemented now 4 post pg screening wen returning to india?

IOM , KATHMANDU NEPAL DEGREES ARE NOT RECOGNISED BY MCI TILL DATE. RECOGNITION IS UNDER PRECASS SINCE LAST MANY YEARS. hENCE TAKE NOTE AND THAN APPLY FOR IOM P G DEGREES.

Thanks for ur enquiry, IOM P. G degrees r not recognised by MCI till date. MCI inspected 6 depts. in may 2006 due to pressure of delhi high court due to a case filed by us. MCI didnt gave satisfactory reports as it seems they want financial obligation from IOM nepal. In abscence of mci recognition it is not at all advisable to take addmission in pg courses and waste u r valuable time and money. (fee is us dollor 4500 / year).Also there is a highly anti india emotion among kathmandu people, even after every possible support from indin govt. to nepal.

Hope this information is of some use to u ,always feel free to write me