Passed PLAB 1 in Sep 2018

Passed PLAB 1 in Sep 2018.

My 2 cents for preparation are here

1. Like any other exam, preparation plan depends a bit on the previous level pf knowledge. Those who take it after preparing for USMLE or MRCP/MRCS have a better baseline amd get higher scores.

2. In any case, for everyone, PLABABLE is the most important resource.

About PLABABLE
It is similar to 1700 but the main difference is that of explanations of the answers which is very important. Now most of the times in Plab they dont ask direct questions from 1700 but infact some other angle of the same question so its very important to read about the topic from which the mcq has been made. 1700s have multiple explanations and different answers according to different people and some mcqs will not be resolved till the end.
In that case I would suggest check PLABABLE as it gives you the link to guidelines which are updated. (That being said there are some mistakes in PLABABLE too but the links are accurate)

1. Sometimes in the exam you will have just one picture or two (ECG, XRAY, SKIn disease)
    Sometimes 6-7. Usually you’re able to guess it from the scenario. Not that difficult in general.

2. All PLAB exam booklets have an attached booklet for LAB values in the end. Sometimes you would need it. But prepare yourself such that you dont need it because usually you don’t have the time. Sometimes they just give the Normal values in the question in brackets.

3. MOCKS are a must!
    Without timed MOCKS it is unlikely that you pass the exam. And not just one or two. Around 5 but make sure you have accurate keys. This is a bit tricky becasue PLABABLE mocks are just a repetition of the mcqs you have already done. If you get mocks from elsewhere with uncertain keys. Dont beat yourself up for 5-6 mcqs. Just use it to better time yourself. You should be finishing the mocks in 2 hours time if you need to finish the exam in time.

4. If you want to score higher or be much better prepared then you can move to PASSMedicine after PLABABLE.
    Similarly if you have a good grip on Oxford handbooks, it will help you.
    Scores don’t matter in PLAB but being secure does.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

Best of luck to everyone appearing in November and onwards…

My 2 cents for preparation are here

1. Like any other exam, preparation plan depends a bit on the previous level pf knowledge. Those who take it after preparing for USMLE or MRCP/MRCS have a better baseline amd get higher scores.

2. In any case, for everyone, PLABABLE is the most important resource.

About PLABABLE
It is similar to 1700 but the main difference is that of explanations of the answers which is very important. Now most of the times in Plab they dont ask direct questions from 1700 but infact some other angle of the same question so its very important to read about the topic from which the mcq has been made. 1700s have multiple explanations and different answers according to different people and some mcqs will not be resolved till the end.
In that case I would suggest check PLABABLE as it gives you the link to guidelines which are updated. (That being said there are some mistakes in PLABABLE too but the links are accurate)

1. Sometimes in the exam you will have just one picture or two (ECG, XRAY, SKIn disease)
    Sometimes 6-7. Usually you’re able to guess it from the scenario. Not that difficult in general.

2. All PLAB exam booklets have an attached booklet for LAB values in the end. Sometimes you would need it. But prepare yourself such that you dont need it because usually you don’t have the time. Sometimes they just give the Normal values in the question in brackets.

3. MOCKS are a must!
    Without timed MOCKS it is unlikely that you pass the exam. And not just one or two. Around 5 but make sure you have accurate keys. This is a bit tricky becasue PLABABLE mocks are just a repetition of the mcqs you have already done. If you get mocks from elsewhere with uncertain keys. Dont beat yourself up for 5-6 mcqs. Just use it to better time yourself. You should be finishing the mocks in 2 hours time if you need to finish the exam in time.

4. If you want to score higher or be much better prepared then you can move to PASSMedicine after PLABABLE.
    Similarly if you have a good grip on Oxford handbooks, it will help you.
    Scores don’t matter in PLAB but being secure does.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

Best of luck to everyone appearing in November and onwards.