Oschner sherren regime is used in the management of-
If an appendix mass is present and the condition of the patient is satisfactory, the standard treatment is the conservative Ochsner—Sherren regimen. This strategy is used as the inflammatory process is already localized and that inadvertent surgery is difficult and may be dangerous. It may be impossible to find the appendix and, occasionally, a faecal fistula may form. For these reasons, it is wise to observe a non-operative programme but to be prepared to operate should clinical deterioration occur.
Criteria for stopping conservative treatment of an appendix mass
A rising pulse rate
Increasing or spreading abdominal pain
Increasing size of the mass
Ochsner—Sherren regimen comprises hospitalization, intravenous fluids, antibiotics, analgesics and a strict watch on the vitals and general state of the patient. In 90-80% of the patients, the mass resolves without complications. The remaining 10-20% need emergency operation due to spreading infection.