Milk – It Does a Body BAD…as in Increased Cancer Risk

Milk, Building Bones or Causing Cancer?

Ah, milk. That clean white nurturing substance that we have become ingrained to believe is good for us. Not so fast. Evidence has been mounting for years about the negative effects of dairy products on our health and, messages from the dairy industry aside, we can ignore it no longer.

In this article I will be focusing on the increased risk for men developing prostate cancer, but stay tuned for more data, including women and breast cancer and children and colon cancer.

Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers word-wide – 400,000 men will be diagnosed with a new case annually. Studies have been done on a national and international basis showing an increased incidence of death associated with milk or dairy product consumption. A dose-response relationship was noted, meaning that the more dairy products were consumed, the higher the risk.

Frequent intake of dairy products is known to increase a pro-cancer substance in the body called insulin-like growth factor, which is found in the blood. There is also a concern of the high-calcium content of dairy products having a negative effect on Vitamin D concentration. Vitamin D is a protector against cancer.
Avoiding Milk May Be the Smart Choice

Conversely, international studies of men who avoid dairy products are found to be at a lower risk for contracting prostate cancer as well as dying from it. The question of whether the evidence is profound enough to recommend that men decrease or eliminate dairy products altogether appears to be answered conclusively, for many, in the fact that across diverse populations around the world, the findings remain consistent with no other plausible reason to be found.

Not all studies show this correlation. Many that don’t have been found to be funded or supported by doctors or researchers closely aligned with the dairy industry. Obviously a conflict of interest, that while not unusual in medical research unfortunately, and reason to throw out the findings.
What About Calcium?

It was felt that men choosing to avoid dairy products would improve their health in other ways in addition to decreasing their risk for prostate cancer. A reduction of saturated fat and cholesterol intake would go along with a lower consumption of dairy products, something that most American men could benefit from. And if you’re worried about calcium consumption, don’t be.

According to research there is no apparent risk to moderate reductions in calcium intake and little evidence to suggest that a high intake of calcium from dairy or other sources reduces the risk of osteoporosis or osteoporotic fractures in men.

As a matter of fact, much research points out that the countries with the lowest consumption of dairy products have the lowest risk of osteoporosis – the opposite of what we’ve been ‘taught’ by the milk and dairy council.

Personally I would like to add that decreased exposure to the estrogen hormones found in dairy products are also likely an important step to take for bettered health. I have found it increasingly interesting to note that men in the US have more fertility and libido issues than were ever present 75 years ago. Male obesity, especially in the belly and ‘breast’ regions, have also greatly increased in prevalence.

Here at HealthNOW Medical Center our clinical nutrition department prescribes a blood test for men who are suffering from hormonal imbalance-type symptoms. This test measures their level of sex hormones. The number of men who have high estrogen levels and low testosterone levels (the opposite of normal) exceeds what we used to see even 20 years ago.

We believe this could be a strong component in ‘low T (testosterone)’ and erectile dysfunction, not to mention decreased libido.
A Cow’s Life is not a Good One

I am not surprised to learn that dairy consumption risk is considered to be dose-related. I feel that as our dairy consumption has risen and our cows have become more tainted with hormones and drugs, a correlation of increased risk of disease is not surprising. I won’t say that it’s easy to eliminate dairy products from your diet.

Personally I was a huge fan of dairy and used to enjoy my butter, cheese and ice cream quite a lot. But I will tell you that eliminating dairy products has, in the vast majority of our patients, made a tremendous impact on their health. Patients are sometimes annoyed that dairy elimination is so impactful to their health, simply because they miss eating it. The passage of time however is an interesting thing, the longer you stay away from dairy products the less you miss them and the healthier your body becomes.
Give ‘Dairy Free’ a Try

Patients also report that after they have avoided dairy products for several months, ‘cheating’ with dairy causes them to feel ill to such a degree that their ‘romance’ with it wanes considerably.

In conclusion, mounting evidence supports that reducing or eliminating your intake of dairy products is the best way to ‘Do a Body Good’. I am including a long list of scientific references below. Most of you won’t be interested in them, but their volume proves the point that evidence against dairy is robust and it’s time that we start to pay attention.

The dairy industry has noticed the impact of this research because they are currently spending millions of dollars to try to ‘make fun of’ parents who feed their children alternative milks. Believe me, they wouldn’t do this if they weren’t noticing a trend.
Is Your Health At Its Optimum?

If not, we can help you achieve better health!—contact us for a FREE CONSULTATION. Call (408) 733-0400 to schedule. Our medical center is located in Sunnyvale, CA. If you are not local to us, our DESTINATION CLINIC treats patients from across the country and internationally. We will help you find the underlying root cause!

To your health,

Dr. Vikki Petersen
DC, CCN
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of HealthNOW Medical Center
Author of “The Gluten Effect”
Author of eBook: “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”

References:

1. World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective. American Institute for Cancer Research, Washington, D.C., 1997, p. 311.

2. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci EL. What causes prostate cancer? A brief summary of the epidemiology. Sem Canc Biol. 1998a;8:263-273.

3. Rose DP, Boyar AP, Wynder EL. International comparisons of mortality rates for cancer of the breast, ovary, prostate, and colon, and per capita food consumption. Cancer. 1986;58:2363-2371.

4. Decarli A, La Vecchia C. Environmental factors and cancer mortality in Italy: correlational exercise. Oncology. 1986;43:116-126.

5. Hebert JR, Hurley TG, Olendzki BC, Teas J, Ma Y, Hampl JS. Nutritional and socioeconomic factors in relation to prostate cancer mortality: a cross national study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998;90(21):1637-1647.

6. Talamini R, La Vecchia C, Decarli A, Negri E, Franceschi S. Nutrition, social factors and prostatic cancer in a Northern Italian population. Br J Cancer. 1986;53:817-821.

7. Mettlin C, Selenskas S, Natarajan N, Huben R. Beta-carotene and animal fats and their relationship to prostate cancer risk. Cancer. 1989;64:605-612.

8. Talamini R, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C, Serraino D, Barra S, Negri E. Diet and prostate cancer: a case-control study in Northern Italy. Nutr Cancer. 1992;118:277-286.

9. De Stefani E, Fierro L, Barrios E, Ronco A. Tobacco, alcohol, diet and risk of prostate cancer. Tumori 1995;81:315-320.

10. Chan JM, Giovannucci EL, Andersson SO, Yuen J, Adami HO, Wolk A. Dairy products, calcium, phosphorous, vitamin D, and risk of prostate cancer (Sweden). Cancer Causes and Control. 1998b;9:559-566.

11. Hayes RB, Ziegler RG, Gridley G, Swanson C, Greenberg RS, Swanson GM, Schoenberg JB, Silverman DT, Brown LM, Pottern LM, Liff J, Schwartz AG, Fraumeni JF Jr, Hoover RN. Dietary factors and risks for prostate cancer among blacks and whites in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomar Prev. 1999;8:25-34.

1. Mishina T, Watanabe H, Araki H, Nakao M. Epidemiological study of prostatic cancer by matched-pair analysis. Prostate. 1985;6:423-436.
  12. Tzonou A, Signorello LB, Lagiou P, Wuu J, Trichopoulos D, Trichopoulou A. Diet and cancer of the prostate: a case-control study in Greece. Int J Cancer. 1999;80:704-708.

13. Grönberg H, Damber L, Damber JE. Total food consumption and body mass index in relation to prostate cancer risk: a case-control study in Sweden with prospectively collected exposure data. J Urology. 1996;155:969-974.

14. Ewings P, Bowie C. A case-control study of cancer of the prostate in Somerset and east Devon. Br J Cancer. 1996;74:661-666.

15. Andersson SO, Baron J, Wolk A, Lindgren C, Bergstrom R, Adami HO. Early life risk factors for prostate cancer: a population-based case-control study in Sweden. Cancer Epidemiol Biomar Prev. 1995;4:187-192.

1. LeMarchand L, Kolonel LN, Wilkens LR, Myers BC, Hirohata T. Animal fat consumption and prostate cancer: a prospective study in Hawaii. Epidemiology. 1994;5:276-282.
  16. Giovannucci E, Rimm EB, Wolk A, Ascherio A, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA, Willett WC. Calcium and fructose intake in relation to risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 1998a;58:442-447.

17. Schuurman AG, van den Brandt PA, Dorant E, Goldbohm RA. Animal products, calcium and protein and prostate cancer risk in the Netherlands Cohort Study. Br J Cancer. 1999;80:1107-1113.

18. Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Ma J, Gann PH, Gaziano JM, Giovannucci E. Dairy products, calcium, and prostate cancer risk in the Physicians’ Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;74:549-554.

1. Severson RK, Nomura AMY, Grove JS, Stemmermann GN. A prospective study of demographics, diet, and prostate cancer among men of Japanese ancestry in Hawaii. Cancer Res. 1989;49:1857-1860.
  19. Thompson MM, Garland C, Barrett-Connor E, Khaw KT, Friedlander NJ, Wingard DL. Heart disease risk factors, diabetes, and prostatic cancer in an adult community. Am J Epidemiol. 1989;129:511-517.

20. Hsing AW, McLaughlin JK, Schuman LM, Bjelke E, Gridley G, Wacholder S, Co Chien HT, Blot WJ. Diet, tobacco use, and fatal prostate cancer: results from the Lutheran brotherhood cohort study. Cancer Res. 1990;50:6836-6840.

21. Veierød MB, Laake P, Thelle DS. Dietary fat intake and risk of prostate cancer: a prospective study of 25,708 Norwegian men. Int J Cancer. 1997;73:634-638. 32. Giovannucci E. Dietary influences of 1,25(OH)2 vitamin D in relation to prostate cancer: a hypothesis. Cancer Causes and Control. 1998b;9:567-582.

22. Cadogan J, Eastell R, Jones N, Barker ME. Milk intake and bone mineral acquisition in adolescent girls: randomised, controlled intervention trial. BMJ. 1997;315:1255-1260.

23. Heaney RP, McCarron DA, Dawson-Hughes B, Oparil S, Berga SL, Stern JS, Barr SI, Rosen CJ. Dietary changes favorably affect bone remodeling in older adults. J Am Dietetic Asso. 1999;99:1228-1233. 35. Iwamura M, Sluss PM, Casamento JB, Cockett ATK. Insulin-like growth factor I: action and receptor characterization in human prostate cancer cell lines. Prostate. 1993;22:243-252.

24. Culig Z, Hobisch A, Cronauer MV, Radmayr C, Trapman J, Hittmair A, Bartsch G, Klocker H. Androgen receptor activation in prostatic tumor cell lines by insulin-like growth factor-I, keratinocyte growth factor, and epidermal growth factor. Eur Urol. 1995;27(suppl 2):45-47.

25. Cohen P. Serum insulin-like growth factor-I levels and prostate cancer risk—interpreting the evidence. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998;90:876-879.

26. Allen NE, Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ. Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men. Br J Cancer. 2000;83:95-97.

27. Kontessis PA, Bossinakou I, Sarika L, Iliopoulou E, Papantoniou A, Trevisan R, Roussi D, Stipsanelli K, Grigorakis S, Souvatzoglou A. Renal, metabolic, and hormonal responses to proteins of different origin in normotensive, nonproteinuric type I diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 1995;18:1233-1240.

28. Ross RK, Henderson BE. Do diet and androgens alter prostate cancer risk via a common etiologic pathway? J Natl Cancer Inst. 1994:86:252-254.

29. Giovannucci E, Rimm EB, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Ascherio A, Chute CC, Willett WC. A prospective study of dietary fat and risk of prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993;85:1571-1579.

30. Jacobsen BK, Knutsen SF, Fraser GE. Does high soy milk intake reduce prostate cancer incidence? The Adventist Health Study (United States). Cancer Causes and Control. 1998;9:553-557.

31. Bosetti C, Tzonou A, Lagiou P, Negri E, Trichopoulos D, Hsieh C-C. Fraction of prostate cancer incidence attributed to diet in Athens, Greece. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2000;9:119-123.

32. U.S. Department of Agriculture and Department of Health and Human Services. Nutrition and Your Health: Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 5th Edition. Home and Garden Bulletin No. 232. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 2000, p. 36.

33. Smith-Warner SA, Spiegelman D, Yuan SS, van den Brandt PA, Folsom AR, Goldbohm A, Graham S, Holmberg L, Howe GR, Marshall JR, Miller AB, Potter JD, Speizer FE, Willett WC, Wolk A, Hunter DJ. Alcohol and breast cancer among women: a pooled analysis of cohort studies. JAMA. 1998;279:535-540.

34. World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research. Food, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective. American Institute for Cancer Research, Washington, D.C., 1997, pp. 270-74.

35. Welten DC, Kemper HCG, Post GB, Van Staveren WA. A meta-analysis of the effect of calcium intake on bone mass in young and middle-aged females and males. J Nutr. 1995;125:2802-2813.

36. Holt PR, Attilsoy EO, Gilman J, Guss J, Moss SF, Newmark H, Fan K, Yang K, Lipkin M. Modulation of abnormal colonic epithelial cell proliferation and differentiation by low-fat dairy foods: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 1998;280:1074-1079.

37. Walker ARP, Segal I. Low-fat dairy foods and colonic epithelial cell proliferation (letter). JAMA. 1999;281:1274.

38. Griffith LE, Guyatt GH, Cook RJ, Bucher HC, Cook DJ. The influence of dietary and nondietary calcium supplementation on blood pressure: an updated metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Hypertension. 1999;12:84-92.

39. Sacks FM, Appel LJ, Moore TJ, Obarzanek E, Vollmer WM, Svetkey LP, Bray GA, Vogt TM, Cutler JA, Windhauser MM, Lin PH, Karanja N. A dietary approach to prevent hypertension: a review of the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) study. Clin Cardiol. 1999;22(suppl III):III-6-III-10.