How the MCCQE Part I pass score is established

How the MCCQE Part I pass score is established

Every few years, the Medical Council of Canada (MCC) brings together a panel of Canadian physicians to define an acceptable level of performance and establish the pass score for the MCCQE Part I through a standard-setting exercise. The panel then recommends its pass score to the Central Examination Committee (CEC) for approval. The CEC, composed of physicians and medical educators from across the country, is responsible for awarding pass/fail results to MCCQE Part I candidates.
In June 2018, the MCC completed a rigorous standard-setting exercise based on expert judgments from a panel of 22 physicians across the country that represented faculties of medicine, different specialties, and years of experience supervising students and residents. For more information on the past MCCQE Part I standard-setting exercise, see the Technical Report on this topic. A report on the June 2018 standard setting exercise, using the same standard-setting method as in the past, will be available later in 2018.
How a MCCQE Part I pass/fail decision is made
Your final MCCQE Part I result (e.g., pass, fail) is based solely on where your total score falls in relation to the pass score.A total score equal to or greater than the pass score is a pass, and a total score less than the pass score is a fail. This means that you will pass if you meet or exceed the pass score regardless of how well other candidates perform.