Frequently Asked Questions DNB CET 2013

Is there a new testing format for DNB-CET?

Yes, starting from the August 2012 administration, the Diplomate of National Board Centralised Entrance Test (DNB-CET) will change from a paper and pencil test to a computer-based test (CBT). This is not an Internet-based test, i.e. a candidate does not take the test over the Internet. Instead of reading the questions from a paper booklet and darkening the ovals in an answer sheet, a candidate will now read the questions on a computer screen and choose an answer by using a mouse to click on the appropriate option.
How is the computer-based format different from the paper and pencil format?

The only difference is in the way the questions are presented, and how responses are recorded.
What does a computer-based test look like?

A Practice Test will be made available on the NBE website www.natboard.edu.in/cet to provide candidates with the look and feel, as well as functionality of the actual test.
Can I take the test from any computer?

No, a candidate will have to test on a pre-assigned workstation, in the testing venue chosen by him/her during the time of registration and scheduling.
Test Duration & Pattern
What is the duration of the test?

The test duration is 3 hours and will be conducted in a single section. There will also be an additional 15-minute tutorial prior to the start of the test. Candidates will also need to accept a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before beginning the test.
How many questions will there be?

There will be a total of 180 questions.

Can I move back and forth between the questions?

Yes, candidates will have the option to navigate between the questions via the Review Screen. Candidates are advised to make use of the Practice Test on the NBE website www.natboard.edu.in/CET to familiarise themselves with the navigation and functionality of the actual test. A 15-minute tutorial will also be available prior to the start of the actual test.
What type of questions will there be?

The test will only contain multiple choice questions, each with four (4) options and only one (1) correct response.
What is the syllabus / course on which the test would be based?

The test will include all subjects taught during the MBBS course including pre-clinical, para-clinical and clinical. Approximate weightage will be given to each subject as indicated in the bulletin.
What is the 15-minute tutorial?

The tutorial provides a series of screens that will orient you to the computer-based DNB-CET. This will give you an opportunity to try the various features, including how to navigate between questions, review them, select, de-select, change and mark responses etc. The tutorial has a total duration of 15 minutes and candidates are advised to go through it entirely before starting the actual test. At the end of the tutorial, candidates will be asked to accept a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before beginning the test. For a similar preview, candidates can take a tour of the Practice Test which will be available on NBE website at www.natboard.edu.in/cet.
What is the Practice Test?

The Practice Test is a sample computer-based test that is intended to familiarise candidates with the navigation and functionality of the DNB-CET. It includes a tutorial on using the various features of the test like moving between screens, selecting, de-selecting, marking and reviewing responses etc., as well as some sample questions which will allow candidates to try out these features. Note that these sample questions are not representative of the content of difficulty level of the actual test.
Registration & Scheduling
When will the next DNB-CET be conducted?

The next DNB-CET will be conducted between 17 and 20 November 2012. There will be a total of 3 testing days within this testing window, with 2 testing sessions a day.
What are the timings for the testing sessions?

There will be 2 sessions – one at 10 AM and another at 3:15 PM.
Where will the test be conducted?

The test will be conducted at selected test centres in 33 cities: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Coimbatore, Dehradun, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurgaon, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jamshedpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, Navi Mumbai, New Delhi, Noida, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Ranchi, Trivandrum, Varanasi and Vishakhapatnam.
Where can I get the list of test centres for DNB-CET?

The list of test centres is available on the NBE website www.natboard.edu.in/cet.

Will I be able to select my preferred date, time and location for the test?

Yes, candidates will be able to select their preferred location, date and time for their test during the online registration and scheduling process. Availability will be based on a first come, first served basis, and only available options will be shown at the time of scheduling. Please note that no reschedule or cancellation will be allowed once your registration/scheduling is completed.
How do I apply for the test?

Candidates may register for and schedule their test online via www.natboard.edu.in/cet from 3rd October to 12th November 2012. Prior to this, candidates need to purchase an Information Bulletin-cum-Examination Fee Voucher from participating Axis Bank branches to obtain the unique serial number on the voucher which is required for the registration and scheduling process.
What is the test fee?

The fee for the DNB-CET is Rs. 4250.
What is the test fee?

The fee for the DNB-CET is Rs. 4250.
What is the last day for application?

The online registration and scheduling window opens on 3rd October and closes on 12thNovember 2012.
Where can I find the voucher number required for online registration?

You can find the voucher number under the scratch-off area of the Information Bulletin-cum-Examination Fee Voucher you purchased at one of the selected Axis Bank branches. Please use a coin to scratch off gently so the voucher number does not become illegible. Vouchers will not be refunded under any circumstances.
Can I use my friend’s email address when registering for DNB-CET?

No, you need to use a valid and unique email address.
Is there a restriction on what can be entered within the address fields during the online registration?

Yes, you need to limit each address line to 30 characters including spaces. You may make use of Address line 1, 2 and 3 in case of longer addresses. Special characters are acceptable.
What happens after I’ve submitted my online application?

After the successful submission of the online application for DNB-CET, candidates will receive an Admit Card via email. Candidates may also log on to the NBE website www.natboard.edu.in.CET to download and print a copy of their Admit Card. The Admit Card will specify the Registration Number / Testing ID of the candidate, test date, time and location. Candidates are required to appear for the test at the specified test centre, on the date and time indicated on the Admit Card.
Can I appear for DNB-CET more than once during the testing window?

No, you can only appear for DNB-CET only once during the annual testing window. It will be deemed a fraudulent activity if one attempts to appear more than once. Admit Cards and photo IDs of the candidates will be checked, and digital images and fingerprints will be captured at the test centre.
If I have made any mistake(s) while registering for DNB-CET, can I make changes later to rectify?

If you make mistakes while entering your application data, you may log back in to the DNB-CET registration and scheduling website via www.natboard.edu.in/CET and select “Edit Profile” to make changes to your personal details such as address or “Edit Application” to make changes to your application data such as educational information. For security reasons, editing of candidate’s full name and username will not be allowed. The ability to edit application profile and application details will be available until the end of the registration window i.e. until 11:59 PM IST on 12th November 2012. Note that if you make any changes to your profile or application details, you will need to print and carry the most recent Admit Card.
Rescheduling & Cancellation
Can I reschedule my test date / time?

No, you will not be allowed to change your test location, time or date once you have completed your online registration and scheduling process. Please select your preferred choices carefully based on the availability shown to you at the time of your scheduling.
Can I cancel the test?

No, under no circumstances will a cancellation / refund be allowed.
If I do not take my test, will I be eligible for a refund?

No, your fees will not be refunded in case you do not appear for your test as per your scheduled location, date and time.
Testing Day
What is the reporting time for the test?

Candidates must arrive at their assigned test centre one (1) hour before their scheduled test start time. If the test begins at 10 AM, you must reach the test centre no later than 9 AM. If the test begins at 3:15 PM, you must reach the test centre no later than 2:15 PM. This will allow for security checks, identity verification and check-in. The test centre gates will close 30 minutes prior to the test start time. Candidates who arrive late will not be allowed to test.
What do I need to bring to the test centre?

Candidates are required to bring a printed copy of their Admit Card along with one of the following valid and original government-issued identification card (ID):

Passport or

PAN Card or

Voters’ ID card or

Driving License or

Aadhar Card or

MCI/State Medical Council registration certificate bearing photograph of the candidate.

Expired or photocopies of the ID are not acceptable. Candidates without a valid ID proof will not be allowed to enter the test centre.
Note: You will not be allowed to take personal items such as mobile phones, watches, food items, study material, lockets, bags, electronic gadgets or any other prohibited items into the testing room. You are advised not to bring these to the test centre.
Does the name appearing on the photo identification need to match the one shown on the Admit Card?

The name on your photo identification must match your name as shown on your Admit Card. If your name has been changed due to events such as marriage, you must show the relevant document mentioned below at the time of the test:

Marriage Certificate

Divorce Degree
Where can I find directions for getting to my test centre?

Maps and directions to each test centre will be available on the NBE website www.natboard.edu.in/cet Candidates are advised to plan their travel accordingly and make allowance for traffic and other unforeseen circumstances.
What happens during the security checks, identity verification and check-in?

Candidates will need to produce their Admit Card and one valid and original ID for verification upon arrival at the test centre. Only registered candidates will be allowed into the test centre. Candidates will be frisked before entering the testing room to ensure they are not carrying any prohibited items. A digital photo and fingerprint of all candidates will also be captured electronically as part of the check-in process.
Will there be any breaks during the test?

No, there will be no scheduled breaks during the test but candidates are allowed to go to the restroom by raising their hand to inform the test centre administrator. Note that the on-screen timer will continue running during restroom breaks.
What will I be provided with during the test?

At the test centre, each candidate will be seated at a desk with a computer terminal and he/she will be provided with pencils, eraser and rough/scratch paper. Rough work cannot be done on any other paper/sheet, as no other material will be allowed inside the testing room. On completion of the test, candidates will have to hand all the scratch paper and stationery back to the test centre administrator.
How do I know when the test time has ended?

There will be an on-screen timer on the top right corner of your screen which will count down from 3 hours. Candidates are advised to check this timer regularly and allocate their time carefully. A pop-up window will appear before the test ends to alert candidates.
Will I be able to leave early if I finish the test before the allocated test time has ended?

No, candidates will not be allowed to leave until the entire duration of the test is up with the exception of genuine medical conditions.
Scoring & Results
How are raw scores calculated?

Raw marks are calculated based on the number of questions answered correctly, incorrectly, or omitted. Each correct answer will be awarded one (1) point. Questions left unanswered / incorrectly answered will be awarded zero (0) point.
What happens after raw marks are calculated?

Like virtually all large-scale exams, DNB-CET will utilise multiple forms, or versions, of the test. While all papers (forms) are carefully assembled to ensure that the content is comparable, the difficulty of each form may be perceived by different subjects taking the test to vary slightly. Such minor differences in the overall difficulty level cannot be accurately measured until after all of the forms have been administered and the results analysed. To facilitate this comparison, each form will contain a pre-defined number of questions (items) selected from a large item bank that will be used for equating. By comparing candidate responses to these common questions across multiple forms, the ability level of the individuals can be evaluated and the precise difficulty of the forms calculated. The raw marks are then adjusted, as necessary, through a process called equating. Equating assures fairness for all candidates by allowing accurate comparisons to be made of performance across all of the test forms. Equated raw scores are then placed on a common scale or metric to ensure appropriate interpretation of the scores. This process is called scaling.
How will I know if I’ve been successful in the DNB-CET?

The scaled scores for DNB-CET will range from 0 to 800. A candidate who scores a minimum of 400* on a scaled score range shall be declared as successful. Successful candidates will be given a merit position (rank) based on their scaled scores obtained in the DNB-CET. They will then be asked, in order of their merit position, to participate in the centralised counselling to exercise their choice of specialty and institution. This will continue until the allotted seats are filled. The merit list will also be published on the NBE website.

*SC/ST candidates need to score a minimum of 320 to be declared as successful.
*PWD candidates need to score a minimum of 360 to be declared as successful.
What happens if I obtain the same scaled score as another candidate?

In the event two or more candidates obtain the same scaled score, the merit position shall be determined by the number of wrong responses of these candidates. The candidate with the fewest number of wrong responses shall be placed at a higher merit. In there is still a tie, date of birth shall be considered to determine inter-se-merit, i.e. an elder candidate shall be placed at a higher merit.
When will the merit list be available?

The merit list will be available six weeks after the testing window.
How long are my results valid for?

The results for DNB-CET are only valid for the current test administration.
Other Information
In case I purchased a voucher and missed registering during the registration and scheduling window, can I still register for DNB-CET?

No, you can only register and schedule for DNB-CET from 3rd October to 12th November 2012. No exceptions will be permitted.
If I do not get my Admit Card, who should I contact?

You need to log in to the DNB-CET registration and scheduling website via www.natboard.edu.in/CET using your username & password and select “Email Admit Card”. Your Admit Card will be emailed to the email address you provided during registration. There is also an option for you to print you Admit Card directly from the website.
In case the website does not work and I am unable to schedule myself, how should I register?

If the registration and scheduling website is not accessible for any reason, please close your Internet browser and try again. You can register for and schedule your test anytime between 3rd October to 12th November 2012.
If my voucher number does not work, who should I contact?

Please contact the NBE Candidate Care on 0124 451 7187.

What are the timings to contact the NBE Candidate Care helpline?

The FAQs, IVRS and online instructions are designed to enable self-service. You are requested to use these tools to guide you through the entire process and help answer most of your queries. In case you are still facing issues, then NBE Candidate Care Support is available by phone and email.