Enthusiasm to push generic medicines and curb the so called ‘doctor-pharma nexus’ is enviable!

Hon. Modiji,
I was a strong supporter of you and your party all these years… I fought tooth and nail with the people who ridiculed you as ’chai wala’…I was defending you…But see what you have done to my dear profession…

Your enthusiasm to push generic medicines and curb the so called ‘doctor-pharma nexus’ is enviable! 

When cheaper, generic medicines are as effective ,then why doctors should prescribe branded drugs.? Agreed!

Now please consider my points...

Why don’t you make ‘Khadi ‘a compulsory clothing as it is cheaper and as effective as branded cloths in covering up body parts? 

Why do you allow so many car companies in India including the likes of Benz,BMW,Audi etc, when a Maruti Alto,Tata Nano which are much cheaper can cover the same destinations?? 

This is going to be my nailing question to you..

In case of clothes & cars there might be a slight advantage of ‘user comfort’between brands…
But is there a DIFFERENCE in the QUALITY OF TIME shown by different watches??? Why do you fancy yourself wearing all those costly branded watches.?

Let us come to the profession of ‘chai wala’, you so proudly identify with and in which you have some practical knowledge…
Why are there so many brands like Lipton, Kannandevan ,Brooke-Bond etc , when all are using the same ‘powdered tea leaves?’
I think tea is more widely used than medicines by both healthy and sick and it will be a great idea to ban all tea brands and force people to use a generic tea…

But as an ordinary man I know VARIETY IS THE VERY ESSENCE OF LIFE. As a doctor I know even the smallest changes in mere shape,size and colour of tablets containing the ‘same drug ‘can have varied effects on patients…It is called ‘PLACEBO EFFECT’…Sir!

Many a times when a patient is not happy with a medicine, we prescribe the same medicine of another brand,knowing very well that their contents are absolutely the same! And the patient is very happy !! Are you surprised? We are not… Because we are the people who have been treating patients…Day and Night…and nobody knows better than a doctor what is good for his patients…

Coming to the issue of doctors receiving favours from pharma companies for endorsing their products…
There is nothing unethical about it…

Amitab Bacchan takes lakhs to just to endorse ‘Mankind pharma’ drugs without knowing A,B,C,D of ‘pharmacology’ … Tendulkar and Hemamalini charge crores to endorse ‘water purifiers ‘about which they have no knowledge…Most ‘skin fairness’ creams which have serious side effects have been endorsed by Tom,Dick and Harry and are paid in crores…

Then, is it unethical for a doctor to receive incentives for endorsing drugs,he being highly responsible and knowledgeable in the field?? Do you expect us to behave like sanyasis? A doctor’s profession is very sacred…But alas… No more… Credit to you ‘politicians’ who forced doctors to be ‘business men’ and patients ‘consumers ‘ by enforcing COPRA on doctors…

In a BUSINESS is it unethical to take commissions?? No way! You may say -any charge that is‘hidden‘ is unethical… Then let doctors acknowledge it openly, as their right!Let all other businessmen and professionals declare so similarly…

The politician and society have branded us as ‘traders ’ by bringing COPRA ,but want us to behave like saints! What a hypocrisy..                                          

If doctors write only generic names of drugs, who is going to decide which brand to be chosen? ..The pharmacist!! All the drug companies then start lobbying the pharmacist, whose only criterion will be the’profit margin’..Is it acceptable to you? Sir!

When doctors are deprived of their right to endorse brands, the drug companies will have to promote themselves by advertising about their products in media like in U.S.A. The print media, TV will be flooded with advertisements… The companies will have to spend exhorbitantly on this and the expenses will ultimately be borne by patients…And I bet what doctors are receiving as incentives is ‘pea-nuts’ compared to what the companies will have to spend to advertise on their own…

AN ACTOR,

A PHARMACIST CAN ENDORSE A DRUG AND TAKE MONEY BUT A DOCTOR SHOULD NOT…IS IT ETHICS?

I know sir, you are the wisest in the political lot … And the wise will not meddle with a field unknown to them…

I respect my profession as I respect my country…Please don’t defame us…and defame India…

‘Vande     
             Mataram’🙏

Dr.Sanjay HR
              Mysuru