A medical specific search engine

1. now patient level-website should show up less than 10% cases. (in standard google search they show up in near upto 50% cases)

2. new primary literature section will now give link those journal articles those have free full text in atleast 50% cases.

3. Latest treatment guideline section is now more exhaustive and compact.

4. Now 2 separate books search item is there. Text books and reference books. However original google book search still remain superior.

5. Standard section contains only 3 top websites. Wikipedia,medscape and uptodate. This section should be used when you need to find information quickly and don’t have time to evaluate all the results.
    to evaluate the coverage and functionality of this search engine compare it with google or other medical search engines…like pogofrog,imedisearch etc…but one request, enter same search key in both places.i think you can see the difference now…
    now give your feedbacks and suggestions. and report if you find any patient-level website is still popping up repeatedly in the first two pages of search results.
    also suggest if you feel any particular website is not showing up properly but that should be included…

1)click over the link on my post above …if firefox causes a problem then try it from Google chrome …but you should not miss it anyway …

2)alternatively copy the link address to your address bar of your browser (not on google search box )and click 'go '.

3)simply search google with the term retinamedicalsearch …however it may not show you yet the link due to its personalized search algorithm …but i think if you try this from another browser or another computer there absolutely shoud be no problem …

though its accessible from mobile browsers (but not mobile view ,you must switch to standard view ), i think for the first time you should access it from a high speed computer .

guys …dnb result was not satisfactory …now waiting for neet result …thats why my work was disrupted for a few days …

but m again started to work on it …(inspired by so many feedbacks )…may be in next week (now god knows what will happen in neet )i will be able to upgrade this search-engine to a better version with new features with a database of website (the search engine will search among them only )likely to cross 1,000.

in the meantime i wanna share this news that the search engine is now being used from uk , usa ,canada ,australia and france (after i posted this news in some international doctors forum )…however m not in the real - marketing thing obviously so the progress is slow …

also want feedback from you guys before i upgrade this search engine …

today a new tab has been introduced on ‘retina’…named 'indian medical journal '…this section initially contains hundreds of indian medical journals as well as the complete medind database to supplement the results …
indian medical journals are important to us for several reasons …a professor may set mcq from it (his own article )in pg entrances , or in some cases indian literature is actually more relevant to us like infectious diseases …same disease may have different form in india due to epidemiological or socio - economic variations …if we blindly follow usa /europian guideline everywhere ,there may be some problems …unfortunately most of the indian journals are neglected by google (due to poor citation of indian articles )…some journals are not even indexed in pubmed …
i hope this tab can solve some of the problems …however there are still some limitations …for example this tab at this moment is not able to recognize abbreviations …like you may not get satisfactory results if you just enter adhd , aml or ptsd …plz enter the full name for the time being …later i will remove this problem (it will take some time ).
in scholery literature a particular article’s utility is determined by how many other articles cite that article …this is similar to google’s pagerank algorithm used here (as this is also google - custom )…so you can be sure that you always get the most cited article on top (atlist within top 5 or 10
).
suggestions are welcome …

luckily I got a rank in neet, not very good but its ok…i wont have to give pg again…if i would not make it, probably i wd have to give up this project. I am very glad that I will now be able to take it forward.

the new version of retina has the following features:

1. tab system upgraded, modified and has been made much more comprehensive. new tabs hav been added and some tabs hav been removed which were not so useful.

2. lot of new website added…i dont know the exact figure but definitely much more than the previous version.

3. intelligent website suggestion depending on keyword or tab.

check this out and give your feedback

i am planning to join after 3rd counselling , after that life will be a bit more hectic for me and it will be difficult to take this project forward…but i will try my best…

i have added a lot of new features in the past few weeks and also evaluating other potential features that can be included…

friends, also suggest me what other features do you want to see…and also suggest good websites that should be indexed …currently this search engine searches around 1500 websites but i feel that many good websites are still not included…

sometime you may experience some technical error with the website. here is what you have to do.

1)a widget is not coming - try from another browser and make sure javascript is allowed in your browser.best browser is chrome. opera will also do…

2)after search, ‘levels’ are not coming and pt specific sites are coming/no result is shown- click on the search button again…original version will come…
basically this error is due to the fact that i have made the xml file (which is the search engine actually)too much complicated and lengthy…whole of the file is not being processed every time causing this type of weird result sometimes…(dont feel disheartened…the incident of such error is 1% cases of total search only )…

as because m not a programmer , with my little knowledge i guess the only solution wd be to rewrite the xml file and make it easier to process. that means when the next edition comes , the problems are supposed to be solved…

also for the time being dont search from mobile…i will soon make the mobile version, hope then it wd be more useful.

i will be busy in next few months(may be for a longer time)…taking med, so its gonna be hectic,development of “retina” will be slow…however i will never give up this project under any circumstances…its a promise…

Today, i have added a new “reference book locator” tool. type any subject/medical term in the box and this tool will give you a recommended list of books from world’s top academic publishers…enter anything like “pediatric neurosurgery” or “multiple myeloma prognosis”…

this tool uses google books api to fetch data from publishers, but it has its own separate algorithm ( result you get is different from google book search)…however each book will have a “google preview” link associated with it.

this tool may help you to get the right reference book from your library for any subject or topic…